Monday, August 13, 2012

Birthday

Throughout the whole adoption process I have thought of it like carrying a biological child. First you conceive, the point when you decide to fill out the application and you are accepted into a program. Then you begin the challenging yet beautiful part called pregnancy which we in the adoption world affectionately call the paper pregnancy. No stretching of the pants but lots of paperwork and an unknown due date. The third part is the birth which is your court date in adoption. It becomes real, irrevocable and very official. The last part is taking your new child home and this will be the last part which is clearing Embassy and finally bringing Tshion home. So in a lot of ways it is the same and in other ways very different.  So I will call this post birthday because Tshion is officially a new member of our family in a very real and tangible way! So happy birthday Tshion!


We awoke this morning to breakfast and friendly conversation. All I could think of was, will we pass court. We had not heard if a very important approval letter had made it to the court so we were not sure. In order to pass, that letter needed to be there. My stomach was in knots. I was SOOO ready to reveal my very precious girl to all of our friends and family. I wanted her to become ours in all legal ways. I wanted to be able to hold her and tell her before we left that she no longer needed to fear that she would not have a family. She would be secure in our arms. She no longer needed to worry where her next meal would come from or if someone was thinking about her at night wondering how she was.

So there we were sitting in a small room with about 40 people while agency by agency was called into the Judges one room office. The courts are not like American courts. It is just an office. I was sitting there thinking about how we were leaving tomorrow and how we were not scheduled to see her on our court date. I longed to see her. I prayed that God would allow us time to see her. No joke, five minutes later and we see our bubbly, vivacious daughter stroll through the door and run to us. I about fell out of my chair. What a loving God we serve! This is not typical for the child to be at the court. When you adopt an older child they have to be interviewed to make sure everything is adding up and okay. This is usually done when the birth family relinquishes their rights to the child. Tshion was not well and could not make it that day so she had to be interviewed during our court time. God knew we needed to see her and orchestrated a way for us to see her. I love those small things He does. So we played with her as we waited. It was a very sweet time of just the three of us. We heard her really laugh for the very first time and it was beautiful!

It was time and we were called to the room. We nervously sat down and the judge asked us four simple questions that we answered and then she said, "You realize that this decision is irrevocable and permanent. There will be no going back. She is legally your responsibility. Are you sure?" YES we both responded. She simply said, "Congratulations Tshion is officially your daughter." At that moment Pete and I both had tears in our eyes and we walked out and hugged our daughter letting her know we were hers forever. It was beautiful!

It was a beautiful picture of God's love for us. He chose me even though I was not perfect or even loved Him back. He knew the risks of loving me and He fulfilled that risk by dying on a cross. It is perfect love. He loves me in an irrevocable way! He does not go back on His promise to love me, teach me, discipline me or guide me. That is the promise we made to Tshion today. It was a big one. We promised at that moment in the court room that no matter what the future would hold, we will never turn our back on her. We will love her no matter the risks and she will forever be our daughter. Nothing can change that. We hope that loving her in this way will point her to the One who will love her in an even greater way and has loved her longer than we have. That is our ultimate prayer! She is a beautiful gift!



3 comments:

  1. I saw Birthday and scrolled down immediately. The pictures were a big WOHHHHOOOO sign that all went well and my eyes filled with tears. Oh Tshion I have only met your parents through the internet but I am so excited for how blessed I know the Lord has chosen your life to be! OH and your Aunty Leigh is going to EAT YOU UP. Be prepared. Allow me to go jump up and down ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep...crying...can't stop smiling...amazed at how faithful and obedient you and Pete have been (not amazed as in surprised mind you, just amazed at seeing God's movement and Christ's own hands by watching the two of you throughout this entire process).

    I cannot even form clear thoughts, let alone sentences. It is all so beautiful that the word itself seems insufficient. Glorious, majestic...closer but still...

    Exceptional commentary, taking us through it all. That may be the greatest gift you could have ever given those who know and love you. And you were under no obligation to take precious time while there to keep us in step beside you. But you did. And I think I speak for more than just myself when I say how you have honored us in an enormous, awe-inspiring way, by taking us on this journey in the details. In the steps, one after the other.

    You ARE full of so much delightfulness friend. I am heightened in every way through knowing you, through walking life with you, but most of all, for seeing how God lavishes Himself, His love, every ounce of blessing He can, on those He could not live without, thus sacrificed all for: you, Pete, Amelia, Shai, Tshion...a perfect union and example of His divine grace.

    And Natalie...you can see the future can't you, because that's exactly what's going to happen when I have the honor of meeting Tshion. Poor girl won't know what hit her, I'm going to fall all over her in embrace and joy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO HAPPY for this day that God has given to you both !! You look happy, and Tshion looks happy !! I will be keeping all of you in my prayers, so know that am always with you !! God Bless !!! Love You All !!!

    ReplyDelete