Sunday, August 12, 2012

Hump in the road

We enjoyed our second day in Ethiopia with a great church service, yummy Caribbean food and time spent in the rain with our daughter. What could a new mom ask for! We did have our first issue today that sent my emotions on a downward plunge into the unknown.

I knew that the language barrier would be an issue but today I hit the hard wall of reality and realized just how hard it would be to full fill my motherly role with my child who does not speak my language. The role of comforting, teaching, disciplining, caring, listening and guiding this precious new child that God is bringing into our family.

Sunshine was bright and cheery all afternoon until the storm came, literally and figuratively. The thunder rolled outside as well as in our Sunshine's heart. It was like hitting a brick wall. Within a matter of seconds our Sunshine went into a dark cloud of emotion. She closed down completely and I had no words of understanding or comfort to offer because I had no idea what was going on. We sat on the cold couch and as I reached for her, she pulled away. I felt utterly helpless as my child pushed me away and began to cry. I did not understand and she did not understand my words. What was I to do?? My heart ached and yearned to comfort her. So I prayed that God would calm me and help me to show her love and grace. We then went on a search for the translator. There is no furor like a mamma lion who is seeking to help her cub. We could not find him and I pushed my way into the house to find him. We finally found him and he went to talk with her. What was the problem you ask? She wanted a orange soda and we had told her that we did not have any and we could not leave the complex with her. Yes folks, she was simply being her age. What is that I age? I found out that I could tell that part of her story. She was being 8 almost 9. What made this tantrum so hard was that I had no idea what was going on. Our language difference is a huge barrier but it is so GREAT that we serve a God who is mighty to break down walls and barriers. Perfect love casts out fear. I had to remember that as I wanted to run out of the complex saying this is too much. How can I love this child and mother her if we can not talk to each other. However that is only looking at me and not the big picture or God's greatness. He has brought us here to this moment to this child. She is His first and He is going to make her ours second. The Lord calmed me and reminded me that it is simple. Step by step with Him guiding it all the way. It will take time but a friend at the transition home was very encouraging by telling me that it was a sign of love that we even took the time to find someone to translate and discover the issue. That was a sign of love. There are ways of showing love that require no language and He will show me those ways as we begin this journey.

I did not run out of the gate to the nearest airplane. I just sent Pete and the translator to the store to buy our kiddo a orange soda. One hump down, many more to go, more victories to happen. Let this journey begin!

5 comments:

  1. I am so so happy to hear these stories! Thank you, as someone already said, for taking the time to share with us this journey and its details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine what was going through your mind as you watch your little girl change. You mentioned she had a dark life and I am sure your mind fought not to go to those dark places. I am glad that God gave you an issue with such a simple solution to try your heart at :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this news. I pray that "Sunshine" will know and understand your love for her, and in turn, she will give and share her love for you. "KEEP THE FAITH" May God Bless All Of You !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you don't know me...I am a friend of Leigh's from back East. But we had a friend adopt a child and had a language barrier issue, as well. They used Google Translate constantly as it can go both ways and can also 'read aloud' the text in the languages. You probably already heard of it, but just wanted you to know. It helped them immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you CGB! That is very helpful information!

    ReplyDelete